Monitoring Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Lawrence General Hospital has remained committed to safely caring for patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. Throughout the public health crisis, and as we start to resume elective procedures in accordance with the four-phase guidance issued to hospitals by Governor Baker and the Massachusetts Department of Health and Human Services, our priority continues to be the health and safety of patients and staff.
In the coming weeks, we will continue following stringent infection prevention processes and implementing specific precautions to ensure a safe environment for essential patient care services. Here are some of the new changes you'll see on your next visit to Lawrence General Hospital:
- Use of masks and face coverings by everyone in the hospital
- Screening of possible COVID-19 symptoms for all incoming patients
- Separate care zones for COVID and non-COVID care
- Social distancing measures and visual prompts in reception areas and throughout the hospital
- Frequent cleanings and thorough disinfecting
- Limited visitor policy and expanded time between scheduled appointments
- Receptionist uses protective gloves to receive identification and insurance cards before removing gloves and using hand sanitizer
With so much attention on COVID-19 in recent months, many people are understandably reluctant to go out in public. We hope these new proactive measures and our continued commitment to safety give you peace of mind knowing Lawrence General Hospital is prepared to safely meet your health care needs.
It is critically important you do not delay urgent care needs. If you have an emergency, we are here for you. If you're having a baby, we are here for you. If you need urgent surgery, we continue to be here for you. We are also urging patients to reach out to their care teams to ask questions and discuss treatment options including TeleVisits, especially if they have an ongoing or chronic condition.
The process of receiving care may look different, but one thing that will never change is Lawrence General Hospital's commitment to meeting the wide-ranging health care needs of Merrimack Valley.
Lawrence Community COVID-19 Testing Center Now Open
Updated May 21: Lawrence General's nine-lane drive-through testing site is located off Canal Street in City Lot #8. For GPS, please use 1 Canal Street in Lawrence and follow directional signage upon arrival. You are encouraged to enter from Canal Street and not General Street. The site is open Monday - Friday from 9 am - 5 pm. Weekend and holiday hours will be limited.
For symptomatic Lawrence residents, the expanded testing will be performed in 8 drive-through lanes and will be open to:
- All residents of the City of Lawrence with symptoms of COVID-19. All ages included.
- Any individuals requiring a test will need to contact their primary care provider to have an order submitted to the Lawrence General testing operations center.
- Individuals will receive a call to schedule an appointment for testing and to be pre-registered. Individuals may also call the COVID-19 Community Screening Line at 978-946-8409 to request information on testing or to inquire on receipt of a physician order.
Common COVID-19 Symptoms
- New sore throat
- New cough
- New runny nose or nasal congestion
- New muscle aches
- New shortness of breath
- New loss of smell
Lawrence General will also continue drive-through testing that was previously performed on Prospect Street. This testing will continue to include:
- Pre-Procedure testing for patients scheduled for Surgery, C-sections, Inductions, and certain Cardiac & Imaging Procedures at Lawrence General Hospital or Orchard Surgical Center.
Residents of any area in the following categories:
- Health care facility workers with symptoms
- First responders with symptoms
- Patients 65 years of age and older with symptoms
- Patients with underlying conditions with symptoms
- Homeless individuals
- Individuals referred through official contact tracing
- The above testing will be open Monday – Friday from 9 am – 5 pm, limited hours on weekends and holidays.
Community COVID-19 Screening Line
Lawrence General Hospital has a COVID-19 (Coronavirus 2019) community screening resource where patients, families, and providers in the community can obtain an assessment of their COVID-19 risk, possible need for testing, and recommendations for next steps. Please call 978-946-8409 before coming to the Emergency Center to avoid risk of spreading COVID-19 if you contract symptoms.
Updated Visitors Policy
Effective March 17, we have now moved to a no visitor policy at Lawrence General Hospital. For adult patients, that means no visitors are allowed at this time. Surgical services, labor and delivery, palliative care, and pediatric patients may have one adult visitor, or one adult visitor accompanying a child. Family and friends who wish to connect with a hospitalized patient are asked to call or video chat with the patient as one way to stay connected while limiting exposure. We understand these temporary changes may impose an inconvenience to some families and we appreciate your help with this social distancing measure.
Lawrence General routinely conducts reviews around our preparedness for coronavirus and have put in place safety protocols based on guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH).
On Campus Shuttle Service
As a precautionary social distancing measure, the hospital is temporarily suspending all shuttle services as of Monday, March 16. This includes shuttle rides for visitors, patients, and staff from the parking lots and to Marston and Canal Street.
Local Funeral Home Information (Pricing, Scheduling, etc.)